Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Trial and Error with Resin

Another idea I'm working on is printing off tiny charm or jewelry size prints of my illustrations.  Mostly in bezel trays and some without.  I've never worked with resin so this is a work in progress with trial and error.

First try is printing off on Epson Ultra Premium Presentation paper miniature paintings about the size 1" x 1 3/8'  using my Christmas gift from hubby - Epson XP 15000 photo printer.  That's taking some playing as well as I learn what it can do on various papers.  The prints came out beautifully.

Next is using different methods of sealing the prints so that the resin doesn't cause the ink to bleed (to include a test seeing what happens if not sealed).

Two prints I chose to seal with Blair's Matte Fixable spray that I use all the time spraying graphite drawings and watercolor paintings on Aquaboard.  It has always worked great so I thought it would be perfect to seal the inkjet prints.  I notice they are taking on a darker tone.

Three prints I chose to brush on Mod Podge Gloss-Lustre-Lustre with the red label with two coats.  As hard as I tried to get a nice even coating, you could see slight brush streaks even after dry.

The resin I am using is from Little-Windows.com.  I purchased their starter kit to see if it would be something to continue with or go a different route.  Too soon to decide at this point but may be more involved than I care to deal with.

After mixing and pouring the resin over each, it didn't take long to start seeing the effects.

First Time Results:

I will not be using the Blair Fixable Spray as it darkens the paper turning it a buff color.

Those with the Mod Podge remained white and clear.  The brush streaks don't appear to be as noticeable but I'll have a better idea late tonight or tomorrow when I can examine it closely and under good lighting.

And forget skipping the step of sealing the inkjet prints.  The resin caused the ink to bleed giving the piece a pink tone and washed out image.

Mod Podge definitely wins this round.  I want to try Sakura 3D Clear Lacquer once it gets here :-)

Once the 12 hour waiting time is up, I want to repeat the resin on the back of the top three I'm using as experiments and then test out drilling holes at the top for jump rings.   The other three I will probably place in bezel trays I have to make keychains


No comments: