Monday, January 6, 2020

Working With Previous Sketches and Paintings

One of the things I deal with from time to time is asking myself why I bother doing what I do.  I don't sell, show (well outside of sharing on the internet), or compete, but instead, do this for myself with the main reason being therapeutic in nature.  Sometimes, that reason is just not enough to keep me inspired or motivated.

There ARE times I will take something I've done and have it printed off to hang but I'm not real big on hanging pictures on the wall.  Or, I might upload to Shutterfly for coffee cups, key chains, or standing tiles for family gifts.  Other than that, my artwork resides inside journals sitting on a shelf.....seldom ever taken down to look at.

A dear friend shared what she does with some of her work.........creating gift and note cards.  She also makes photo charms (mini paintings in bezel trays and lacquered over) using hooks along with embellishments like beads, buttons, etc.  She finds ways to enjoy and share her work or display outside her journals.

Because I've been in such a funk with sketching or painting, I have struggled setting goals for 2020.  So in the meantime, I thought I could try and do something with what I've already created.  Maybe that might help inspire me into what I might want to do this year.

Inspired by my friend, I have decided to create note cards and magnets using previous illustrations I have sketched/painted in my journals (or Ipad).  Next I want to try my hand at taking printed miniatures and covering in resin (in or out of bezel trays).  Maybe then I can get past this "why bother" mode I'm stuck in and move forward :-)

This is just a very small sampling of the note cards I have created so far.  They are the size of RSVP or invitation cards.  I can use these for personal use and/or give as gifts.  The paper I am using is Hammermill Color Copy Cover 80lb weight paper.  I can fit two note cards per sheet of paper.  Envelopes and sleeves I found through ClearBags.com.


The magnets are being used to decorate file cabinets and personal size refrigerator/freezers we have.  They are ATC size (2.5 x 3.5") placed in magnetic photo sleeves.  Paper I'm using (for now) is Arches Infinity Museum Quality Digital Art & Photo Inkjet paper.  Unfortunately, it's no longer available, which is a major disappointment as I loved the texture of the paper and what I have always used for art prints.  My understanding is that Canson now sells similar paper but it's just not the same according to forums I've read where other people are in search for an alternative to their beloved Arches Infinity.  Thank goodness I have a couple/few boxes of this paper left.  As for the magnetic photo sleeves...........I used to get packages from Walmart but found others on Amazon I think are a little better quality.







1 comment:

Lin said...

Hi Susan!

Oh how I know the feeling -- I too have TONS of artwork, journals, but also notecards, magnets, t-shirts, etc. What DOES one do with all the work one creates? For me, I tend to rip apart my journals, rebind them into books for my grandchildren (who may or may not appreciate them at the moment! LOL) - and send them off. But all the books and papers accumulate -- and since I live in a very small space, this problem grows each year. I sure would like to know how others handle all their artwork, too ... Lin