Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Handcrafted Dolls Sketch

Years ago I used to be big into fabric crafting ornaments and other small items like dolls and angels.   This morning I decided to work a sketch of two of my favorites. 

I am still using the Ipad and the app, Procreate to produce these sketches.  It takes me longer to work these using the Ipad than it would using traditional paper, pen, and color but providing a nice challenge as I continue learning what this app can do.  I find I enjoy the process more than the results versus feeling the need to fill a sketchbook and focused more on the results than the process.  This change is what is helping with inspiration and motivation to do any sketching.

When I started out with this one, I started with the line drawing like I would a pen and ink drawing.  The Studio Pen brush tool was used for the line work.  Then I chose to use a brush tool I'm not familiar with - Watercolor brush tool.  At first I didn't care for how it put down color but I stuck with it.  It lays down transparent layers you have to build up but after I got the hang of it plus blending, it wasn't so bad.

At first I was going after the ink and wash look but then once I reached a certain point (as seen in the center image), I decided I didn't want that.  Instead I removed the line drawing layer and using darker matching colors, I defined the edges and added more shading as if I were using just watercolor with no pen and ink.

This shows the process as I was working along with the change and notes I made to refer back to.

Total layers used in this one is 20 not including the signature and background layers.



No comments: