Thursday, July 30, 2020

How a Game Can be Educational

Back in March, a new game came out called Animal Crossing New Horizons.  It launched just as the pandemic was spreading across the globe.  The game has been an escape for many people..being able to relax and concentrate on something positive.....living on an island and building it up for other residents.  For me it has definitely played a major role in maintaining my sanity and keeping me from being glued to the TV and computer following the day to day depressing news.

Several of my family members have also been playing and it's a way for us to interact even 1000 miles away from one another.

Aside from the escape from reality, providing endless hours of fun and relaxation, it also has an educational side to it.  One is interacting with the villagers/residents.....teaching kindness and giving to others....being neighborly and watching out for one another.  Another is learning patience (at least for me...ha ha).   It teaches responsibility and working hard for those things you need or want.  And it teaches about responsible spending and saving of Island money for bigger purchases.

There is the creative aspect as you craft many different type or style of items to include tools and furniture; but, a major bonus comes with the ability to design the island itself........setting up and decorating your island.  It even goes so far as earning the ability to transform the island's cliffs and rivers/ponds.

Then there are the numerous type fossils, bugs, fish, and sea creatures you may never have heard of before.  I find myself as I catch various creatures wanting to look them up as they are in real life, learning their origins and facts about their existence.

One such sea creature is the barnacle.  I've had a cluster purchased several years ago on a visit to Rockport, TX.  I never thought much about it except that it was a neat looking shelf ornament for my sunroom.  After swimming and diving (in the game) and catching one, I was intrigued to find out all I could about it.  To me it was just a shell ornament but learning about it as a living organism has been very enlightening to me.  Same goes for several other life-forms like butterflies and fish.  The fossils you dig up and end up pieced together teaches about the dinosaurs.  Within the game these items are donated to a museum with fact sheets near the displays.

Anyways......today I decided to do this quick sketch of the barnacle considering I have a cluster here at home and wanted to journal about it after learning the facts.


No comments: