Thursday, February 20, 2020

Playing on Arches 140 lb Watercolor Paper

Trying to use up some of my old paper stock, I made three small journals last year with Arches watercolor paper.

I'm not crazy about using Arches as I prefer a bright white paper.  My scanner has an issue scanning this and any other slightly toned or off white/yellowish paper color.

The Arches was originally purchased for straight watercolor painting before I started using Fabriano many, many years ago.  Today.......I prefer to use pen and ink plus a wash in journals and because of that, this is my least favorite papers.  In addition to the yellowish tint, I prefer a smoother tooth for how I work now.

I'm finding if my fountain pens have a dryer feed, they struggle putting down a nice line due to the tooth.  If a wetter feed, it's not too bad.  So far I've tried two different TWSBI pens with EF nibs, a Metropolitan with a F nib, and a couple Lamy pens with EF nibs.  I feel I have to take care so not to put too much pressure for fear of ruining the tines.  On another page I actually tried a Sharpie F marker pen which didn't fare as well as I would have thought.  Too much skipping unless I moved slow and with pressure.

Original Scan versus color cast fix playing with water soluble graphite and watercolor pencils.




Previous few pages in the journal with Arches as I try the different fountain pens:





No comments: