Friday, March 19, 2021

Trying a Different Brush Tool - Gouache Brush Tool

An art friend who is using Procreate has been working on portraits and I've been amazed by her results.  Curious to which brush tool(s) she was using, I learned she was using the Painting / Gouache brush tool.

Normally I go for the Waterbrush but decided to try the Gouache to see what I could do with it with subjects I enjoy sketching.

For my first attempt, I went outside and clipped a few stems from one of our Azaleas to produce this quick sketch.  The initial line drawing was using the BJD Standard Ink brush tool and then switched over to the Gouache to add color.  This was just to play a bit and get a "feel" for how this brush tool applied color and also using it for smudging or blending. 





Next I decided to use my ballpoint pen sketch of an old fashioned rose I drew last year and scanned and uploaded to my Ipad to be used in the Procreate app.  I had worked this particular sketch into a digital drawing in September using different brush tools.  This time I wanted to use the Gouache brush tool creating a softer color version of the rose and without the pen and ink with wash look.





No comments: