Thursday, May 9, 2019

Two Toned Covered Handmade Journal

With the last journal in this second batch, I decided to try my hand at a two-toned or dual covered book casing.

I've seen where the two different papers or fabrics were overlapped and I've seen it done "butting up" the two pieces together without overlap.  I decided to go that route.......no overlap.

And with this one, it's a combination of fabric for the spine area and decorative paper for the rest of the cover.  The fabric is as thin as the paper so I thought it should work well together.  Not sure how well this will hold up but time will tell.

The order I was waiting for to finish this last journal was from Hollander's.  They have such a fantastic selection of fabrics and papers specializing in bookbinding.  Their selection is almost overwhelming for someone who's still green with understanding best fabrics and papers for bookbinding.  I might have to get their samplers just so I can see and feel fabric before making another purchase. 

Anyways.........from my order, I used an Italian fabric which is paper thin.........much thinner than what I'm used to working with between my own handmade book cloth and that which I've purchased from Lineco.  I had to be careful of glue getting on the fabric because although the glue dries clear, it dries darker than the rest of the material.

I love the results but not sure I'd want to make too many like these...........definitely more time consuming.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It’s beautiful, a lot of work but so worth it! You sure have the gift of design for this!

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you for the beautiful compliment; however, I can't take credit for the design :-) I get ideas and advice from others who do this. Several of my sketching friends have been making their own journals for years and I gain from their experiences.

Annie said...

Very pretty though.

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you, Annie :-)