Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Making Journals

No sketching for me right now as I'm going through one of my slumps or "recharge" periods.  While I wait it out, I'm making new journals.  It's been over three years since I made my first batch of hardbound / hand sewn journals and decided it was time to do some with extra paper laying around and taking up space.

Spent several days re-viewing videos and asking questions on doing these as I had forgotten quite a bit in three years.  Once I felt ready to take on the challenge, I started by creating three 5" x 5.5" journals out of two sheets of found Arches 140lb watercolor paper (found in storage).

Once they were finished, I decided to create journals out of 10 sheet packs of Fabriano Artistico 140lb cold and hot press paper (11" x 14") purchased MANY years ago.  In fact, you cannot get these packs of 10 sheets any longer as they now sell them in packages of five at a higher price than I paid for these 10 sheet packs.  In addition, this is back before they changed how they make their paper.........back when Fabriano was my #1 favorite.

5" x 5.5" Journals out of Arches:







5.5" x 7" Journals from Fabriano Artistico (old stock) 11" x 14" Sheet Packs:

So far.....


Still have a sixth one partially done but waiting on fabric to come in this week I wanted to try from Hollander's. 

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to make spiral sketchbooks or continue with these hand sewn ones with the hard casings.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really admire your work in journal making! They are beautiful, I have made four journals over the years and they are a satisfying project but not for weak of heart lol, lots of work. I enjoy coming to see what you’ve done.

Annie said...

Very nice Susan! I love making journals! The possiblities and varieties you can make are endless.

LannieK said...

Those are beautiful! I've never tried making one, thank you for the inspiration ~

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you Laurie and you are so right..........definitely not for the weak of heart. And definitely not something you want to attempt and be distracted.....especially with all the measuring. All of the steps involved can feel a bit overwhelming but I think once someone understands and develops a system they feel comfortable with......it becomes easier. I created an outline of steps and that helps me.

Susan Bronsak said...

Annie.......thank you :-) And so true about the varieties and possibilities in making these. What I love most besides choosing the paper I most prefer to work on........the sizes and orientation (landscape/portrait) are anything you want them to be. :-)

Susan Bronsak said...

Lannie......thank you :-)

Out of all the videos I've viewed on this, I LOVE SeaLemon's line-up of videos related to bookbinding. She makes it easier for folks to understand the main concepts and steps.