Saturday, July 20, 2019

Comparing My Pilot Falcon to the Vanishing Point Pen

Thought I would compare my two higher end pens to one another - Falcon vs Vanishing Point.

Pilot Falcon - "Soft" Gold Nib with Rhodium plating / Medium Flex / Extra Fine (EF)

Loaded with Noodler's Lexington Grey Ink

One of my favorites but one I seldom take out with me out of fear of losing.  Plus I tend to baby it here at home as well.  It has a wetter feed compared to my other fountain pens (exception TWSBI pens) so I don't always go to grab it like I do the Lamy pens.  Reason being impatience.  With a wetter feed, one has to give the ink more drying time before attempting to erase pencil and add color.  With a wet feed, the lines are starker, as well, even with a soft black or gray ink.  I'm very careful using it on toothy paper as well for fear of damaging the tines or getting lint stuck in the tines. 

Pilot Vanishing Point - Retractable Nib Pen - 18K Gold (no plating) / Fine (F)

Loaded with DeAtramentis Urban Grey Ink

Newest addition to my fountain pen collection.  LOVE the fact the nib retracts into the body of the pen.  The F Nib, so far, is proving to result in finer lines than the Falcon EF nib.  It's a dryer feed than my Falcon but a bit wetter compared to my Lamy pens or the Pilot Platinum.  I might prove different with another brand ink but I won't know that until a later time should I decide to change inks.

This shows the difference between the two Pilot pens in addition to comparing with the Lamy that I used for most of the writing.  It's loaded with DeAtramentis Urban Grey and has an EF nib.  It feeds wetter than the Vanishing Point.......darker lines.


I'm wondering if the Vanishing Point F nib produces a finer line than the EFs because only a very small portion sticks out of the pen body.  Plus it being much smaller than most fountain pen nibs. 

1 comment:

Ginny Stiles said...

I just heard about the vanishing point pen the other day on one of the Sketching FB pages.
I looked it up and there are TONS of different kinds...all fairly pricey. I use my Lamy and my TWSBI ALL the time but this pen looks gorgeous. I'll see if I can find the article that I enjoyed about the retractable.
Lucky girl!