Friday, July 5, 2019

Starting a New Sketchbook - Hand Sewn

I have finally reached the end of the journal I've been working in for awhile ..... giving myself permission to start a new one.  I chose one of my hand sewn journals (labeled HSFab01) that I made back in April.  It is made of old stock Fabriano Artistico 140 lb Cold Press watercolor paper.  Paper purchased back in 2005 or 2006 when I could get 10 sheet packs and before the manufacturer changed their papers.


With the first page in this sketchbook, I decided to sketch the palette with Holbein watercolors for reference.  I set this palette up like over a decade ago but has been sitting in a drawer all this time.  I am totally amazed by how fresh the pigments have remained and the ease in re-activating.  I tend to grab my palette with Daniel Smith, QoR, or Winsor & Newton (in that order it seems) first.  I don't much care for Winsor & Newton pigments as many dry and crack or become hard as a rock not re-wetting very easily.  I'm finding a few of the Daniel Smith are doing the same thing.  Anyways.........I decided to use the Holbein for awhile.


With Miya healing and improving, I'm back to feeling like sketching again.  With the round the clock care for several days and lack of sleep, I just didn't feel up to doing much of anything.

Trying to get a feel for working on cotton paper again, I worked this sketch after I did the Holbein palette color chart.



Yesterday's sketching was setting up my miniature animals as sketching models.  For today, I decided to pull out several items from one of my drawer units that sits on top of my table/desk in the sun room.




No comments: