Sunday, March 31, 2019

In a Slump

Looks like I've fallen into a slump lacking incentive and motivation to pick up a pencil or pen.  This slump, however, is not only affecting my desire to sketch/paint, it's filtering over into everything I do on a day to day basis to include interaction with our sketching group, and Facebook art groups I'm in.  I'm trying to work my way out of it as quickly as I can, but it's a bit slow going at the moment.

Slumps are normal and I understand this.  And although at times I may not know the "why", there are times like now that I'm very much aware of the reason and trying to remedy it.  Then maybe I can move forward until the next time.

Some people say to just accept these times and relax by taking a break, while others say to try and push your way out of it.  For me, I have to push my way through because otherwise if I let too much time slip by, it becomes more difficult to get started again.......finding excuses not to do anything.

In my attempt to push through what's going on with me, I worked this little sketch but definitely didn't have my heart in it.  It did feel good to at least manage what I did.  And again last night I tried to start another but I ended up not getting very far.  We'll try again today.

I feel like a worn out starter in a car that's trying hard turning over to start the engine.  At least a starter can be replaced.....ha ha  However the engine has its own issues with components not in sync or running smoothly that needs attention (contributing to the starter becoming worn) and not sure I'm the one to fix that or can without assistance.

Stonehenge 90 / Mars Lumograph 3B pencil


1 comment:

Ginny Stiles said...

When I get into slumps I go to you tube and watch videos of artists I admire or of techniques I admire. I get out some of my art books and mark articles to read. I inventory art supplies and make lists of colors or mixes or papers. Anything to keep me in the studio and doing something "related" to art. Saturday Greg and I went on the Off the Beaten Path Art tour. Wow. THAT can get you churned up! Even getting out some old art magazines and thumbing through them and reading articles is good. You don't have to be creating...just rummaging in your art stuff is okay.