Friday, March 15, 2019

More on Grumbacher Watercolor In and Out Sketchbook

The more I work in this sketchbook, the more I realize it's not going to be for me.  There are too many other sketchbooks I like better that work best for how I work.  Plus I can also make my own with much better paper choices than what most journals out there offer.

Personal Notes / Findings:

Although you can lift, the paper does damage even with light brush work.  It really shows when applying pigment over that area after it dries. 

It's too easy to end up with a blotchy look since the pigment just sits on top of the sized paper and it's not something I would want to happen with many subjects. 

The surface sizing also feels like or appears to not be consistent over the entire surface.  Some areas  blotch or bead more easily than other areas.  Now that might also be attributed to possible oils on my hand as I sketch and work the ink lines but I try to be careful making sure my hands are clean.  It's more apparent working on a larger scale like this page versus several little illustrations on a page.

Fountain pen ink tends to take too long to dry (for my liking) so I've been using a Sharpie pen instead.  Not a huge deal but I like using various pens and inks.

Pencil erases very cleanly unlike some other papers.......at least the HB pencil I've been using.  Haven't tried softer or darker lead pencils.

Definitely not what I personally consider top quality art paper..........more on the line of student grade.

The ability to remove and replace pages is a really nice concept but for me not worth the other less desirable characteristics as mentioned above.

This paper might work very well for other people depending on how they work but I honestly am not that crazy about it.





No comments: