Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Roosters On Oxford Sketch Outing - Practice with Ellipses

Yesterday our sketching group met up at a unique coffee / vintage shop in Wildwood, FL  There were eight of us total with part of the group sketching inside and a few of us out on the front porch.

I chose this to sketch as practice with ellipses...........a subject I still struggle with.  Started out in pencil and had to erase numerous times until I finally decided to stop here.  I'm sure perspective is still off, but definitely closer than when I started.

This is also my first true watercolor sketch (other than the tree) on this Grumbacher watercolor paper.  For someone who prefers a paper with a good amount of sizing in it, this may be one paper that's a bit heavier sized than I really like working on.  But I may be able to adjust how I do things where it's not too much of a challenge as I found with this first attempt.

The pigment definitely just sits on top and if wet will pool creating a blotchy look when dry.  Not bad for some subjects but might be a pain needing a flat smooth wash.  Perfect example is the flower pot.  That's only one application of paint and it's blotchy looking after dry because of how wet the paint was and how it pooled.

I was using a squirrel brush / wet watery paint / with light touch and found trying to layer would pick up pigment already on the surface.  What I ended up doing to build value was using a synthetic angular flat drybrush and not fiddling as I applied the paint.

I'm sure for those who use a less watery paint mixture, they might not run into the same issue.  Only time will tell for me how this paper will work out for me with how I personally apply paint.

With this particular sketch, I worked backwards apply pen and ink after I started painting but before adding the darker values.




2 comments:

Annie said...

Very nice elipses and sketch. How does the Grumbacher paper compare to Arches or Kilimanjaro? I actually think I prefer Kilimanjaro over the others. I have had problems with the sizing on Arches.

Susan Bronsak said...

I haven't used Arches in many years and when I did it was in block form. Instead I used Fabriano Artistico until they changed their paper which I no longer care for. I don't think I've ever tried Kilmanjaro. If I did, it was a long time ago.

The paper I'm finding I really like is Strathmore Imperial 500 watercolor paper. I like the sizing in it for blending and lifting. Not sure how it would be for glazing multiple layers though. And then there's Stonehenge Aqua I find I like. It comes in second for me right now.

Both of those papers I believe are better quality than the Grumbacher. I could be wrong but think the Grumbacher is more in the line of high quality student.........possibly with wood pulp in it. But I am not sure. Just doesn't feel like Strathmore or Stonehenge and is very heavily sized.