Saturday, March 9, 2019

Trying Out Grumbacher Watercolor In and Out Journal Book

Yesterday I stopped at our local art supply shop called DK Art Supplies.  I hadn't been there since they expanded mid last year.

I was really impressed with the layout and how everything was being displayed making it more enjoyable to shop there.

The owner, Dennis, was sharing about the changes and the supplies he carries and letting me know if he doesn't have in stock, he can always order anything we might want.  Then talking about particular graphite between water soluble to standard to Artgraf color graphite bars and kneaded graphite I had never heard of before.  Really interesting what companies keep coming up with.

What I really like about this place and the owner, he's quick to do little demonstrations showing what one can expect with various supplies before you buy.

Then he was showing me the Grumbacher In and Out journals that are spiral bound but pages cut to where you can remove them and then put back in place in any order you wish.

I like the fact you can remove the page for laying flat in the scanner and then return it to sketchbook.






I'd never painted or sketched on Grumbacher paper so I was intrigued and bought a 7 x 10 watercolor journal.  It has 12 pages 140 lb acid free paper which is heavily sized for lifting and blending.  I personally like paper like that with how I work.

These are just a few play examples as I get a feel for the paper surface.  Front has a hilly surface and the back is silky smooth.

So far this is playing a little with watercolor and with water soluble graphite (Wolf's Carbon pencil B).  Also did a quick ink smear test but not waiting any real time before trying to smear.  I wanted to know how careful I needed to be writing or sketching moving my hand around the paper as I worked.






4 comments:

Morgan Linkh said...

Ooooooooooooo that’s cool! I have been drawing a lot lately

Susan Bronsak said...

Hi Sweetie!!! I'm thrilled to hear you are still drawing!!!

Ginny Stiles said...

So interesting that your sketchbook and my in and out Koh-i-noor sketchbook have exactly the same graph on the inside cover. both are made by Chartpak I think. I haven't tried mine out yet. I think pencil will be nice on the Bristol vellum but not sure about wc.

Susan Bronsak said...

When Dennis was showing me these sketchbooks you can remove and reinsert pages, he called them Koh-i-noor sketchbooks and yet one of the few he pulled (different type papers) said Grumbacher. I read the same thing about ChartPak distributing various brands.

Other than what you see here, I haven't played much with it but Lyn has worked several pages in hers........some full paintings and loves the paper.