Friday, January 18, 2019

Our Sketching Group's First Library Tuesday Meet-Up (LTM)

The Leesburg Library has granted our sketching group (FAST) permission and the use of their Tech Room to meet on the third Tuesday of each month.  The purpose is for our group to have a regular structured time together going over topics related to sketching......to include demos, presentations, exercises, etc.  And it's not limited to just our sketching group.  The Library is including us in their newsletter of events open to the public hoping to reach out to others who might be interested in what we are doing.

There were eight of us from our sketching group plus twenty new faces.  Our first time together at the Library was an introduction to sketching and keeping sketchbook/journals.......sharing page ideas and layouts for those who wish to do more than just sketch on each page (to include headings and descriptions).

Each of us from the group took turns sharing our journals and talking about what we enjoyed doing along with some of our sketch kits we set up to take out with us.  Following the sharing and discussion of our members' sketchbooks, I shared several examples of my own sketching ideas and layouts on screen that I use that doesn't take a great deal of pre-planning.  Basically selecting a spot on the page to sketch and filling in empty space with headings and/or description.

It was such a fun two hours and really pleased by the turnout of new people.

Next month we will go over and play with Hand Lettering for the purpose of headings and jazzing up our pages while at the same time keeping it simple without a lot of fuss.


6 comments:

SueB said...

These were great! Really cool to see altogether.

Brenda Seek said...

Those are great references to keep the variety flowing. I fall into a rut too easily. Thank you.

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you so much SueB! :-)

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you Brenda :-) Something I didn't share on the reference sheets here is something I also do and that's taking only contour shapes of subjects (people, animals, etc.) and just playing with color within the shapes. I love dropping juicy color wet in wet and watching how it mingles......often slanting my surface so it runs. When I fall into a rut, I often try a new pigment, ink, pencil......anything different from what I've been using and testing it out making notes. My self imposed challenges also help........especially the timed ones. I don't have time to sit and think about it or wondering if I really feel like sketching something. Just grab an item, set timer and go :-)

SueB said...

Wonderful suggestions! I have had to learn tho that the timer is my friend. Just started using it to try and simplify my sketching and to speed up. I get slow and bogged down in the detail. What surprised me is how much I enjoyed how those quick sketches looked....the unfinished ones can even be interesting and imaginative looking!

Susan Bronsak said...

Oh I can relate.....believe me!!!! And I tend to like my timed results better than those I tend to fuss over as well :-D